Fireworks in a Jar
You will need
oil, water, food coloring, jar or glass
1. Fill your jar 3/4 of the way full with warm water.
2. In a separate bowl, mix a 3-4 tablespoons of oil and several drops of different colors of food coloring.
3. Use a fork to gently mix the oil and food coloring together.
4. Gently pour the oil mixture into the jar.
5. Watch what happens&;mdash;the food coloring will slowly sink out of the oil and into the water. When this happens, it will expand and begin to mix with the other colours.
The Science behind it:
Food coloring dissolves in water, but not in oil. When you stir the food coloring in the oil, you are breaking up the coloring droplets (though drops that come into contact with each other will merge&;hellip; blue + red = purple). Oil is less dense than water, so the oil will float at the top of the glass. As the colored drops sink to the bottom of the oil, they mix with the water. The colour diffuses outwards as the heavier colored drop falls to the bottom